Sheldon College Founder and Principal/CEO awarded OAM in Queen’s Birthday 2018 Honours List
Dr Lyn Bishop, Founder and Principal/CEO of Sheldon College has been awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for service to education in Queensland.
On receiving the OAM, Dr Bishop said, “I am very humbled to receive this award but I accept this on behalf of the large number of outstanding, dedicated and committed educators who have worked alongside me in the realisation of our vision to establish a school that would leave a legacy for children in the Redland Shire.”
February 2018 marked Sheldon College’s 21st Year Anniversary. Sheldon College is now recognised as one of Queensland’s most progressive independent schools. Sheldon College opened as an independent, non-denominational, not-for-profit, co-educational College in February 1997 with 110 students and six teachers. The College is now a vibrant community and thousands of graduates have passed through the College gates.
“We were inspired to establish Sheldon College as I have a fundamental belief in providing a first-class educational experience for children that would see them equipped to become worthwhile and contributing citizens in a dynamic and ever-changing global community.”
Dr Bishop said, “We were inspired to establish Sheldon College as I have a fundamental belief in providing a first-class educational experience for children that would see them equipped to become worthwhile and contributing citizens in a dynamic and ever-changing global community.”
Mr Chris Wigan, College Board Chair said, “Sheldon College is the product of vision, commitment and an unwavering passion for education. Dr Bishop is an outstanding leader and educator who has overcome many obstacles over the years in order for Sheldon College to continue to deliver excellent educational outcomes for every student.”
“The College community is very proud of Dr Bishop’s achievements and she is a very worthy recipient of the OAM. The legacy of Dr Bishop’s vision, values and service to education will live on for generations to come and Sheldon College will continue to transform the lives of students through first-class teaching and learning.”
Dr Bishop's service to education include:
- Principal and Founder, Sheldon College, since 1997.
- Ambassador, Queensland Education Leadership Institute, since 2011.
- Department of Education and Training Queensland: Acting Director, Quality Assurance, 1994-1995.
- Deputy Executive Director, Metropolitan East Region, 1992-1993.
- Principal, Alexandra Hills State High School, 1987-1991.
- Deputy Principal, Merrimac State High School, Coorparoo State High School, Camp Hill State High School, 1981-1984.
- Senior Mistress, Balmoral State High School, 1976-1980.
- Teacher, Mount Gravatt State School, Charleville School of the Air, Cavendish Road State High School, 1969-1975.
- Vice President, Queensland Principals' Association, 1990-1991.
- Awards and recognition include: Ambassador, Queensland Education Leadership Institute, 2014. Recipient, Outstanding Alumni Award, Faculty of Education, Queensland University of Technology, 2013. Recipient, Centenary Medal, 2003. Recipient, Ernst & Young National Entrepreneur of the Year Awards for a Social, Community or Not-for-Profit Enterprise, 2002. Recipient, Queensland and Australian Entrepreneur of the Year for a Social, Community and Not-for-Profit Enterprise, 2002.
Read more about the official list of recipients in the Queen's Birthday 2018 Honours List here.