District Track and Field Champions
On Thursday 27 and Friday 28 July, a team of 70 Sheldon College athletes contested the 13 to 19 Years Bayside District Athletics Championships. Our team performed very strongly throughout the entire event with a commanding lead of 180 points at the close of Thursday’s events.
Leading into the final day with a heavy sprint based program, it was going to be tough for the Sheldon College Team to retain this lead knowing the capabilities of rival schools. Still, with the dedication and efforts of all students who strived that little bit harder in each event, Sheldon College were announced as Overall Bayside Athletics Champions for the second year in a row. In addition, they also claimed the Percentage Shield which is calculated by dividing the total points accrued by the school population. Cleveland State High finished 2nd with Ormiston placing 3rd in front of Wellington Point State High School and Carmel College.
District Record Breakers
The District Athletics Championships have been running for 37 years, so to break a record at this event is an amazing achievement. This year, a total of six records were broken, with four of these six broken by Sheldon College students:
- Lachlan Cornelius – 13 Year Boys 1500m (Previous record also broken by Max Hooper (2nd) and Sam Heeremans (3rd), both of Sheldon College)
- Emily Witt – 14 Year Girls 1500m (previously set by Jamie Hiscock in 2015)
- Jamie Hiscock – 16 Year Girls 1500m and 800m (800m record previously set by her sister Nikki Hiscock in 2009 – beat it by 6 seconds)
District Age Champions
Performing brilliantly across a range of events, five Sheldon College students were crowned District Age Champions:
- Georgia Harris – 13 Year Girls
- Lachlan Beveridge – 14 Year Boys
- Taige Hooper – 15 Year Boys
- Heath Larnach – 16 Years Boys
- Ellie-Ann Green - 16 Years Girls
- Azelle Breytenbach – 17 Year Girls
In addition, three Age Champion runners-up were presented to Sheldon College students:
- Max Hooper and Lachlan Cornelius – 13 Year Boys (Joint Runners Up)
- Will Morris – 17 Year Boys
Thirty-seven Sheldon College athletes were chosen to represent Bayside District at the Met East Carnival.