School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships
Students at Sheldon College will have access to Nationally Recognised education and training through Traineeships and Apprenticeships that are registered with the Department of Education, Training and Employment (DETE). Students are engaged in paid employment and study both on the job and off the job.
These students are given the opportunity to commence studies and work in their chosen field whilst still at school. The credentials are Nationally Recognised and students may be fast tracked into future courses. The Apprenticeships and Traineeships will be organised to take advantage of the College’s flexible timetable.
Benefits for Students
- Completion of a Senior Statement and Queensland Certificate of Education (if requirements met);
- Completion or progress towards completion of a Nationally Recognised Qualification;
- Payment for time spent at work;
- First-hand knowledge and experience in employment areas of interest allowing more informed career choice;
- A head start in the job market;
- Improved confidence and self-esteem in an adult environment;
- Development of attitudes and learning skills relevant to the workplace, thus increasing employability;
- More effective transition from school to work;
- Use of vocational qualifications to enter into tertiary education (e.g. Diploma course); and
- Successful students may receive a Queensland Certificate of Education and a Nationally Recognised certificate at the completion of Year 12.
How Students obtain a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship
- Contact Mrs Vandermeer, Director of Senior Schooling;
- Investigate possible employers in the industry area in which you are interested;
- Students are interviewed and selected for the position by the employer; and
- In some cases students may embark upon work experience prior to signing a formal contract;
- If all parties are satisfied, the student is signed into a Traineeship or Apprenticeship.