The Careers Centre at Sheldon College is located in Senior Schooling. The Careers Counsellor and Senior Schooling team work to ensure that each student’s individual pathway is catered for. We recognise that students are facing multiple challenges during this time in their schooling as well as the pressures of the changing world of work. Students may now have multiple occupations in a number of different industries, some in occupations that are not yet created. This causes challenges for educators and we strive to help students to be flexible, adaptable and highly skilled lifelong learners.
The services that the team offer include:
- A career interest inventory helping with subject selection and post schooling pathway decisions
- Assistance with time management using templates for study planners and help with goal setting
- Advice on tertiary prerequisites and upgrading options
- Advice on options post Year 12: University, TAFE, private Colleges, apprenticeships and traineeships, employment and GAP Year programs
- Assistance with QTAC, VTAC, UAC guides and the application process, including OP and RANK range estimates
- Information on the undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admissions Test (UMAT)
- Reminders and updates on Art Auditions and Queensland Conservatorium dates
- Help with gaining part-time work; resume writing, letters of application and interviewing techniques
- Resources: University/TAFE booklets, brochures and important career information
- Assistance with scholarship applications.
The Careers Counsellor meets with year levels in the Senior College and assists with Subject Selection in Year 8 and Year 10 through a careers education program. Throughout Senior College, students will have many career education opportunities including guest speakers.