Welcome to Performance Music at Sheldon College where we are privileged to teach some of the most outstanding school-age musicians in Queensland, and because of this, our aim is to assemble a team of teachers who are ranked amongst the very best in Australia.
Performance Music at Sheldon College boasts more than 40 ensembles that rehearse weekly, and we offer tuition to almost 650 students. Being one of Australia’s leading Music Programs would mean very little if we weren’t committed to maintaining a vibrant and forward-thinking program that challenges young musicians to achieve the very highest standards, while never losing sight of the fact that music should always be fun.
While Eisteddfods are often the pinnacle of the Music Calendar in many schools, our focus is to provide our young musicians with “real world” experiences at a corporate level. In the past two years, we have provided ensembles for the Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Ball, Governor’s Breakfast, 1st Test of the Ashes Series at the Gabba, live bands at the Australia vs France and Australia vs New Zealand Rugby Internationals, and we provided the orchestra and choir for the Redland City Christmas Carols in 2013. More recently, 2014 saw us pay homage to the inspirational music from The Man From Snowy River, when the Sheldon College Orchestra played the authentic orchestral score in the presence of the composer, Mr Bruce Rowland.
Of course, this doesn’t mean we bypass competitions altogether, as the opportunity to perform in front of different audiences in unfamiliar venues is a worthy learning experience. In 2014, Sheldon College recorded 1st Place in the Redlands String Eisteddfod, 1st, 2nd and 3rd placings in the Australian Percussion Eisteddfod, and Los Rapidos (Australia’s only school-age Latin Ensemble) was awarded Champion Band at the Queensland Ekka (from a pool of 120 ensembles). Our Big Band was selected as the only school-based jazz ensemble to perform at the famous Wynnum Jazz Festival, and our award-winning vocal ensembles are preparing for another huge year of performances.
Explore Performance Music at Sheldon College
Sheldon College students can receive individual or group instruction in any of the following areas:
- Woodwind - Piccolo, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone (Alto, Tenor, Baritone).
- Brass - Trumpet, French Horn, Eb Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba.
- Percussion - Encompassing all tuned and untuned percussion (Mallets, Snare Drum, Drum Kit, Timpani, etc.).
- Strings - Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass.
- Guitar - Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar.
- Piano - Classical Piano (AMEB/Trinity), Piano for Leisure (AMEB), Jazz Piano, Popular Piano.
- Voice - All styles covered, from Musical Theatre to Popular to Classical.
Students can elect to learn privately (one-to-one) or in a group, but it should be noted that piano and voice lessons are usually delivered in private/individual lessons.
Most lessons are during school time, but limited places are available for lessons before/after school, or during morning tea/lunch.
To find out more about Music Tuition, or to enrol your child in a lesson for next term, email us.
Year 4 Instrumental Program
The Year 4 Instrumental Music Program is an integral and compulsory part of the Junior School Curriculum, and Sheldon College is proud of its intensive one-year program. Students are tested in Year 3 to determine those areas in which they are most musically proficient, and are then given lessons in Woodwind, Brass, Percussion, Strings, Guitar or Piano.
Woodwind/Brass/Percussion - Students who are selected for Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Bass Guitar or Percussion are part of the largest Year 4 ensemble known as the Year 4 Band. While lessons are held in school time once a week, all students in Year 4 Band come together each Thursday afternoon for an ensemble rehearsal from 2:20pm to 3:10pm in the Band Room (PA9).
Strings - Students selected for the Year 4 String Program form an ensemble known as "Fiddlestix".
Guitar - Students selected for the Year 4 Guitar Program form an ensemble known as "Year 4 Strummers".
Piano - Students selected for the Year 4 Piano Program form a special class known as the "Composers On Keys".
Performance Music Highlights From 2015
- Percussion Ensemble I was awarded National Champions at the Australian Percussion Eisteddfod in Sydney.
- Drumline I was awarded National Champions at the Australian Percussion Eisteddfod in Sydney.
- Percussion Ensemble III received a Platinum award at Queensland Musicfest.
- Percussion Ensemble IV received a Gold award at Queensland Musicfest.
- Middle College String Ensemble was awarded first place at the Redlands Eisteddfod.
- Senior College String Ensemble was awarded third place at the Redlands Eisteddfod.
- Senior College Chorale was awarded first place at the Redlands Eisteddfod.
- Year 5 Band received a Gold award at Queensland Musicfest.
- Senior Brass Ensemble received the only Platinum award in the Queensland Musicfest Brass Section.
- The College’s String Quartet, Big Band and Soul Band provided the entertainment for the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron Commodore’s Ball.
- Latin Band “Los Rapidos” was one of the headline acts at the Fiesta Latina in West End for the 3rd year in a row.
- Soul Band performed at the Cleveland Twilight Markets.
- Drumline I was invited to march in the daily parade at the Brisbane Ekka.
- Soul Band performed at the Gabba for the 1st International Cricket Test - the 3rd time that Cricket Australia has invited Sheldon College to provide entertainment.
Performance Music Highlights From 2014
- Jazz Night (Big Band, Stage Band, Dixieland Band and Latin Band).
- Australia v New Zealand Rugby Performance.
- Battle of Australia Ceremony (MC Brass).
- Fiesta Latina - Latin Band.
- Eisteddfods, Redlands (Strings and Stage Band) Aust Percussion Eist and Musicfest.
- Instrumental/Vocal Concert -"A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES" - All Senior Ensembles.
- Australia vs France Rugby Union International, Suncorp Stadium - Sheldon Orchestra and Senior Vocalists.
- Commonwealth Day Breakfast, Government House - Senior Brass Ensemble.
- EKKA Performance, RNA Showgrounds - Orchestra, Middle College Band, Latin Ensemble, Drumline.
- Chinese New Year celebrations - Senior String Ensemble.
- Combined Percussion Concert with Ju Percussion School - Percussion Ensemble I, II and III, Drumline.
- Wynnum Jazz Festival - Big Band, Dixieland Band.
- West Side Story, Redlands Performance Arts Complex - Sheldon Orchestra and Senior Vocalists.
- Q & A with Bruce Rowland, composer of The Man From Snowy River, Sheldon College Events Centre.
Performance Music Highlights From 2013
- Australia vs England 1st Ashes Test, The 'Gabba - Concert Band & Dixieland Band.
- Lord Mayor's Multicultural Ball, Brisbane City Hall - Big Band.
- Battle for Australia Memorial, George Street, Brisbane - Middle College Brass Ensemble.
- Christmas By Starlight (Redland City Carols) - Sheldon Orchestra and Senior Vocal students.
- Fiesta Latina, West End - Sheldon Latin Ensemble.
- Redlands Eisteddfod - 1st Place String Ensemble I, 2nd Place String Ensemble II.
- QLD Saxophone & Clarinet Competition - 1st Place Saxophone Orchestra.
- QLD Saxophone & Clarinet Competition - Highly Commended Clarinet Ensemble.
- QLD MusicFest - Platinum Award Percussion Ensemble I.
- QLD MusicFest - Gold Award Percussion Ensemble II.
- QLD MusicFest - Gold Award Percussion Ensemble I.
- QLD MusicFest - Silver Award Drumline.
- RedFest School Jazz Festival (1st Prize) - Big Band.
- Jazz Night, Grandview Hotel - Big Band, Dixieland Band.
- Hairspray, Redlands Performance Arts Complex - Musical Orchestra and Senior Vocalists.
- Middle Years State Conference, Gold Coast Convention Centre - Middle College musicians.